Heather's Journal

Friday, November 05, 2004

The Good of the American People

This past Wednesday was the day the media announced who our new president would be. I voted for George W. Bush, but was still surprised when I discovered he was the new president. I was so shocked because so many celebrities backed Kerry, his opponent in the race, up and how many people I came in contact with everyday who were voting for Kerry. I thought with all this publicity, positive for Kerry and negative for Bush, such as books and films including Michael Moore's film 9/11, Bush would lose, not drastically, but that he still would.

I was wrong about the Presidential election's outcome, but I couldn't understand why for a while and then it hit me like a bolt of lightning, I had underestimated America and all its citizens, people like me. I thought that just because people like Brad Pitt, Sheryl Crow, Jon Bon Jovi, and rapper, P. Diddy supported Kerry that all the American people would just go along with them. I would never do that and now that I think about it, why did I assume everyone else would? I was very mistaken, both about American citizens and the outcome of the election, but I am very glad I was wrong about both. This alone proves there is great hope for America and maybe the media should concentrate more on that than all the negative things happening.

I do not think all of the people who voted for Kerry were just doing what celebrities or authors said. I am just making the point that just because these celebrities did say that, 80% of America did not vote for Kerry. Even though this can not be proven, all this could mean that having celebrity endorsements is a bad thing for politics. A lot of people, especially parents, look upon all these musical figures as negative influences on their children or as people involved in crimes or people corrupting their listeners by using bad language in their lyrics. With such reputations, voters may conclude that who ever these people support can not be good without even looking at the actual platform of the candidate.

Along with all this publicity for Kerry was even more negative publicity for Bush. One of the top people against Bush in the past few month has been Michael Moore, who put out a movie called 9/11, which basically attempted to give Bush a bad name and for the first few weeks it was it, this movie impacted the public quite drastically, but apparently it did not work well enough, because Bush is still our president even after the election. Other negative things about Bush included many books, talking about how he helped to destroy America and how he has been plotting to get oil and doesn’t care about the independence of any country. I’m not justifying nor denying and of these things, because my view does not matter in the points I am trying to make. I am simply saying, that with all this media point all in favor of Kerry, one would only assume the winner would end up being John Kerry, but the American people showed me and everyone a thing or two, including how much they care about their morals. This country is not what Hollywood makes it to be and thank God for that. I hope everyone who reads this will hesitate before ever doubting the judgment of the American people again, because I know I will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home