Heather's Journal

Monday, November 15, 2004

Parents not watching their kids

A woman came into my work today just to buy a card, but did not bother looking after her son while she was shopping. This boy of her's could not have been more than five years old and he was running around like he owned the world. This aggravated me quite a lot, because I knew he would break something, especially with all the breakable things around; I work at Hallmark. The woman shopped and finally found a card got her child and I rang her out. I was very polite and smiled as she paid for her item and I handed her it in a bag with the receipt. Once she left though my co-worker went to see what damage her son had done. He had taken 4 items that had blue bows on them and ripped each individual bow off one by one. He also knocked down a pile of at least 20 cards, all for us to pick up and hopefully find their correct places again.

People like this woman need to keep a closer watch on their children. Taking care of your own kid is a sign of good parenthood and respect to others and their property. Everyone should practice this if we want to have a helpful and better world. I say better world, because monitoring your children needs to start young or when they get older those children with the lack of supervision are going to be the ones spray painting buildings and getting into all sorts of trouble.

A worse scenario happened than what took place at my work at a beauty salon not too long ago. There was a mother in there getting her hair done and she had not one, not two, but eight children in there with her, all her's. These kids ranged from the ages of 1 to 10. Most of them were under seven. I don't care how many children you have; they can at least be well behaved or looking after each other. All of these children, including the older ones, were running around the beauty salon knocking over shampoo bottles, buckets of combs, and making a mess of the waiting room magazines. I am surprised the people there did not throw the woman and her children out, but I am sure they felt as helpless as I did when that young boy came in a wrecked all our hard work with the mother having no regard to what he was doing.

One thing is for sure I will look after my kids, if I ever have any. If I had been the beauty salon mother I would have brought a friend with me or a neighbor, anyone, to at least look after a few of the children. Besides, if you can’t afford a babysitter then you probably should be affording to get your hair done, especially since afterwards you are just going to be running around chasing after children all day and messing it up constantly. The woman at Hallmark on the other hand had a stroller for her about 4 year old son and could have kept him in it or something. Parents just need to watch their children; after all, that is their life responsibility that comes with being a parent.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home