Heather's Journal

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

My Confrontation with a Stereotype

I have a friend, who will remain nameless, who has discussed certain issues with me in this past presidential election. These issues include abortion, gay marriage, and many other controversial things. When we began our conversation of these issues I realized how liberal he was, but didn’t think twice knowing everyone has their own views and I should accept that since I do too. My friend went on about a woman’s right to choose and about any person’s right to choose whether want to marry someone of the opposite sex or not. I listened closely and waited my turn to state my opinions knowing there was no rush as long as I did get my say in the end. Turns out he had to run and eat dinner with his family, so he got off the phone and I felt gypped, because I truly do have completely different views than him and thought he should at least hear my side as well.

The next day I spoke with my friend again and there was no family interruption. It was on the phone again and as he began to pick up on the previous day’s discussion I interrupted his statement by asking, may I have a turn? He seemed very surprised and said, “Well I already know what you are going to say.” This in turn shocked me, because I thought being the so called liberal he is that he would have respect for other people views as well as his own, but according to this question he only wanted his to be spoken. I felt like I didn’t even know him and wanted an explanation. As he responded to my needing an explanation he said, “oh, I am sorry if I offended you it is just that you are a Christian and well you all have the same standings and beliefs and I’ve heard it a hundred times, so there was really no need for you to take the time to state your opinion on the subjects.” There it was, as plain as anything I’ve ever been told, I was a stereotype.

IN response to this comment, I told him everything I knew about abortion and gay marriage and why it was wrong, both in a secular view and biblical. I don’t know if I actually proved his stereotype wrong, but I hope so. I still can not believe my friend would lump me in with a group instead of counting me as one individual person. Not all Christian do have the same views and I know of many that differ on these two main issues. There is always the question of what if the girl was raped when it comes to abortion and for gay marriage there is the Episcopalian church with a homosexual minister. This all does not make these people bad who believe this, but they see things differently and in my views not accordance with God. My friend almost fainted when I told him of the Episcopalian minister. My friend apparently doesn’t listen to much news, because many people know that and therefore is not informed enough to be debating much, but he still hurt me by saying I was like every other Christian. Doesn’t he think I can think for myself? This disappoints me and I hope this shows how wrong stereotypes are. I can’t name one that is right and I hope eventually everyone, including my friend, will get past them all, if that is even possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home