Heather's Journal

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Writer's Block May Be a Good Thing

I have been wondering lately about the importance of having writer's block. I know that my sound odd, because writer's block is nothing anyone wants to get. I had it recently though and when you get writer's block you think about weird things, but I went beyond that and thought about why we get this thing that causes us to think about weird things. I think writer's block may be just as importance as being able to write well and smoothly. Without writer's block everyone would write to their full extent all the time and always think of themselves as a good author, but in reality they may not be. Not until you have writer's block do you realize how bad or good of a writer you really are.

Recently I lost my favorite pen and was looking frantically for it. I searched all over the house, under and on top of everything in sight, but could not find it. A few days later I discovered the pen on my dresser, probably where I had left it. I did not realize how much I actually liked that pen until the day I lost it and in the same way no one knows how great writing is until they feel they have lost the ability to do it; this being writer's block.

Writer's block is basically when you sit down to write a paper or a short essay and nothing comes to you. You find your mind as good as blank and can not think of one thing to write down that would do you any good. Whenever this happens to me I simply start writing anything I can trying very hard to remedy it and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I am not the only one that gets writer block though, everyone does and everyone has the same potential to writing well as I do. So maybe you are suppose to have writer's block. It is part of life like getting ht hiccups or sneezing. It just happens and to everyone. It is normal and doesn’t have an instant remedy for it, but it does go away, although it comes again later. That you can count on.

My point is that writer’s block is normal and maybe even beneficial, although I have no scientific proof of any kind, but anything is possible. Having writer's block always leaves me thankful for my writing when I am able to write. Without writer's block I would probably never appreciate my essays and poems, because it would be simple for me to write some more whenever I want to. Writer’s block is what makes English class a challenge and in turn what makes life a challenge, because life practically revolves around writing things down, or typing them as the case may be now a day. So next time you encounter writer's block don't get frustrated just remember how much more your writings will mean to you after you have gotten them down, because you have had those moments in your mind, blocking your creativity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home